Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Dark London

Photographing London at night was an exciting experience. I would dare compare London with a very old witch that has discovered the secret of being forever young.She is not a beautiful witch, I would even say that she is a filthy,smart,sleazy witch that wears sluttish lingerie under her rags.










It is my belief,Watson, founded upon my experience, that the lowest and vilest alleys inLondon do not present a more dreadful record of sin than does the smiling and beautiful countryside.

-Doyle, SirArthur ConanThe Adventures of Sherlock Holmes,'The Copper Beeches'




This is a London particular† A fog, miss.

-Dickens, CharlesJohn Huffam
Mr Guppy to Esther. Bleak House, ch.3.

London is a modern Babylon.

-Disraeli, Benjamin, 1st Earl of Beacon



London is enchanting. I step out upon a tawny coloured magic carpet, it seems, and get carried into beauty without raising a finger† People pop in and out, lightly, divertingly like rabbits; and I look down Southampton Row, wet as a seal's back or red and yellow with sunshine, and watch the omnibuses going and coming and hear the old crazy organs.One of these days I will write about London, and how it takes up the private life and carries it on, without any effort.

-Woolf, (Adeline) Virginia
Diary entry, 26 May.

No comments:

Post a Comment